Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS).
Small Firms Loan Guarantee (SFLG) management team responsible for managing and monitoring the debt and equity markets. One of the major pieces of this is the Small Firms Loan Guarantee scheme, the Government’s principal intervention in the debt market, has, for over 23 years, sought to help SME’s with viable business propositions but insufficient collateral upon which to secure a loan to access the debt finance that they need.
Provision of Management Information to a variety of stakeholders (including the SFLG Management, Board, Lenders and Government Departments) including Lender Information packs, monthly reporting, and dashboards. The information included:
- Scheme and Lender-specific Information Packs
- Interactive dashboards for analysis based on Geography, Business Sector, Defaults, Financial Performance
- Operational reporting in order to allow the SFLG Management team to continue to monitor and manage the scheme
- Premium collection reconciliation – highlighting where payments were due and collected and where failures or non-payments exist
- Provision of the capability for users to analyse the aggregated information from a number of dimensions
- 23 financial institutions including Barclays, Lloyds TSB, HBOS, HSBC and RBS Group.
- Government departments including the Department of Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS)), HM Treasury, Regional Development Agencies (RDA's)
Strategy, Tactics and Skills
TOMA developed a number of OLAP Data marts that incorporated a number of data sources, including NSPD Government Geography information, Business Sector hierarchy (SIC), various sources from ONS (Office of National Statistics), historic and current SFLG loan information, Premium collection transactions (direct debit and cheque), BOE statistics on business take-up. Data sources were in multiple formats including Excel, CSV, PDF, XML and manual input.
TOMA created and hosted a secure, integrated web portal to allow stakeholders to gather the information on a semi-monthly basis. Users are able to log-in and are presented with personalised reports and dashboards. Reports were created in a number of formats including Powerpoint, PDF, Excel and included interactive dashboards built in Flash.
TOMA also provided an “Analysis Object”, allowing stakeholders to perform multi-dimensional analysis through excel based on the OLAP data marts updated on a bi-monthly basis.
Results and Evaluation
The SFLG Management information allows various government departments to understand the performance of the SFLG Portfolio, and where businesses are being helped. It provides monthly performance to the SFLG management team to allow them to consider amendments to the scheme and enhance discussions with lenders regarding their performance. In addition, the SFLG Management team utilise the information to manage and monitor the scheme on a daily basis.
See how TOMA can help deliver managed serviced reporting solutions